The infrastructure area of FCC Group has an extensive portfolio in the rehabilitation sector for historic and symbolic buildings. The need to protect and safeguard the historical heritage catalogued, and the need for public administrations and private initiatives to rehabilitate and restore these buildings, sometimes transforming them into their headquarters, represents an opportunity for FCC. The company has a cumulative experience of more than 115 years, during which it has contributed to the preservation of the cultural and historical legacy of cities, which has in turn contributed to the know-how and professionalism of its own employees.
FCC Construcción has a long tradition in the rehabilitation, renovation and restoration of buildings. It has specialised personnel in this type of work, who are able to apply the most appropriate treatment in each case. They are fully aware of the responsibility assumed by the company when taking over these types of actions, whether it is to solve a structural issue, to restore a facade respecting its original architectural pattern, or to adapt an old building to a new use.
Our contribution to the historical heritage of the city of Madrid.
Within the municipal plan of rehabilitation of historical buildings in the City of Madrid, FCC Construction has undertaken the following works:
Museum of the City. District Salamanca
The City Museum is located in an irregular plot within the streets Prince of Vergara, Cartagena, Pechuán, Suero de Quiñones and Aragón, where the Municipal Police of the Board of Chamartín and the National Auditorium of music are also located.
The construction of the building dates back to 1992. The floors below ground level have a main use of parking, while the upper floors have an administrative use, with a total area of more than 10,000 square meters.
The works included the delivery of the necessary architectural reforms and the installation of facilities for the implementation of the Area of Government of Security and Emergencies in the City Museum building.
Consolidation of Torre Arias Palace buildings. District Canillejas
The Finca of Torre Arias is located in Calle Alcalá 552, with gardens that occupy more than 17 hectares. In the northern part of the plot, the palaces are more than four centuries old and have been modified and enlarged, and were in a deteriorated state prior to the works.
The transfer of the Finca to the City of Madrid, upon the death of its previous owner, took place in 2012. Since then, several actions have been carried out, the most significant being the opening of the gardens to citizens at the end of last year.
The City Council of Madrid, with the aim of maintaining or recovering the historical value of the buildings, awarded FCC Construcción the contract for the restoration of the architectural complex.
The main building consists of three naves that depart from the north wing which were formerly used as the stables and warehouse of Guardarnés. An isolated building on the north border, which was used by Matadero, was a small garden house. A further isolated building was the denominated House of the Guard, in the south entrance, next to the Alcalá street.
The works in the different buildings have been carried out according to their degree of deterioration, as the state of conservation varies considerably between them. It has been structured in two phases:
- Phase 1. Replacement of Rooves and Rehabilitation of Facades (2015-2017). Currently underway.
- Phase 2. Structural Consolidation and Replacement of Carpentry (2017-2019). In project phase for delivery.
Plaza Mayor-House of the Carnage. District downtown
FCC Construcción has completely rehabilitated the deck of the Casa de la Carnicería, in the Plaza Mayor. This includes the replacement of the roof structure, completion of a new structure, and the placement of the insulation panel and slate lining in the front zone and towers, and tile in the back. In addition, the rear façade has been rehabilitated, which leads to Imperial Street, with lime mortar lining to the martillina.
As a singularity, a scaffolding had to be erected on the whole façade facing the square. A cover fabric with the printed photograph of the existing façade was placed on the whole surface of the scaffold to maintain the aesthetics of the Plaza during the delivery of the work.
Palacio de Cibeles-Madrid City Council. District downtown
FCC has undertaken the refurbishment of the City Hall of Madrid, which is located on the fourth floor of the Palacio de Cibeles, the current headquarters of the City Council. The work consisted of the redistribution of interior spaces throughout the affected wing. In the old space of Mayor’s Office, located in the north hexagonal tower, the necessary works have been carried out to create a meeting room. The Mayor’s Office has moved to the next space, where the access and work area has been reformed. In the open diaphanous rooms and the old meeting room, it has been equipped with offices, to allow more than sixty workers to be located. New office areas have been set up on the fifth floor and work has been carried out on the elevator and access to the Mayor’s Hall on the sixth floor, where a lift platform has been installed.
In addition to this work, FCC Construcción installed the entire radio station in the Palacio de Cibeles itself. The work has consisted of the complete transformation of an office space and workstations into two rooms, one for control and recording and another to house the speakers.
Palace Carrera de San Francisco. District downtown
The headquarters of SAMUR Social, located in the Carrera de San Francisco, were badly deteriorated. The levels were rehabilitated, all the facades of the inner courtyard were coated and painted, the facade was ventilated, guardrail units, protection, carpets, glass and a four-way skylight were restored.
The primitive spire has been recovered, restoring the original image of the building, remaking the body of the tower and reproducing the initial external geometry of more than eight meters in height, culminated by an ellipsoid and an additional four meter brass needle. The enclosure was made of zinc, on wood panels.
Palace Iván de Vargas. District Moncloa-Aravaca
From the historical documentation it is deduced that the construction of the original country house took place in 1519 by order of Francisco de Vargas, member of the Council of Castile in times of Kings Católicos. This building was located somewhere near the current palace next to the Puerta del Río and Puente del Rey. In 1559, the palace was used exclusively by the royal family. Between 1562 and 1567 conditioning works were undertaken to transform the country house of the Vargas into a villa for recreation, a project directed by the architect Juan Bautista of Toledo.
The present work consisted of the complete restoration of the original Palace of Ivan de Vargas. The facades were completed with mortar lining and hammering, the original levels were restored and the fronts and rooves were finished with tiles in a mansard style.
Pavilions Mayorales. District Moncloa-Aravaca
The work included the complete rehabilitation of the old Pavilion of Mayorales de la Casa de Campo. This building is the oldest one that is conserved in the enclosure used for the cattle exhibitions of the thirties. It is a basilical structure with three bodies. The central one, of greater height, has a skylight running on both sides and a structure of metallic triangular trusses.
FCC Construcción completed the full rehabilitation of the building maintaining the architectural and environmental values that led to it being designated Level 1 Protection, Integral degree.
Pavilions Cross Reed building. District Moncloa-Aravaca
There are several pavilions next to the one known as the Building of the Red Cross. It is a set consisting of three buildings, one of which no longer exists, which formed a U-shaped space. The catalogue of PGOUM gives them a Level II Structural Protection. These pavilions date from 1950 and were built for the National Field Fair. They are the work of the architect Francisco Asís Cabrero.
FCC Construcción has completed the full rehabilitation of the buildings, maintaining the architectural and environmental values that motivated their inclusion in the aforementioned level of protection.
Palace specialties Street Hermanos Álvarez Quintero- District Centro.
The work included the full rehabilitation and adaptation of the building located at Hermanos Álvarez Quintero 3, 5 and 7, for the implementation of the Basic Health Care Center for Drug Addicts, the Center for the Reception of Vulnerable Families and the Care Center To Families.
It has been completely restored, with the facade demolished and new waterproofed covers and pavingreplacing the wooden joinery, both on the exterior and interior.
Palace Casón del Buen Retiro- District Retiro
FCC Construcción expanded and rehabilitated the Casón del Buen Retiro. The Cason del Buen Retiro is one of only two buildings that survived the destruction of the Palacio del Buen Retiro, from which it takes its name. At present it is part of the Prado Museum. This project had as its first objective to expand the surface of the building, giving it two basements, called access floor and a basement floor. To this end, the existing foundation was enlarged by moving it to a new depth.
The second objective included the integral rehabilitation of existing, low, first and second plants, rearranging the spaces to locate exhibition halls, common public services and internal museum services.